We are looking for a Full-Stack Developer to join our team
WHY CAIRN IS AWESOME
Cairn is changing the way outdoor enthusiasts discover new products and ideas that inspire them to connect and explore. Since the company’s founding in early 2014, Cairn has grown from shipping product out of the CEO’s garage to a market leader and growing community of outdoor enthusiasts numbering in the thousands. Cairn has partnered with over 200 brands in the Outdoor industry, shipped over 2 million products, and was named to Outside Magazine’s Best Places to work for 2017. In 2018, Cairn added Gear Up, Give Back™ to its offerings - a program that facilitates recycling of outdoor gear and apparel (with all net proceeds being donated to charity). More recently, the company launched the Kitted, an industry-first, try-before-you-buy retail experience for outdoor products as well as Unstacked, a unique gear auction experience. Cairn is located in beautiful Bend, Oregon.
Do you love working with non-developers, hearing their ideas, and figuring out how to turn them into an online-reality? Can you build a full retail website from scratch, front and backends? Do you love gear as much as you love code? If so, this job is for you.
This is an excellent chance to join a company that is pushing the creative retail envelope in the Outdoor Industry. You will be a part of a small development team and asked to do it all (when it comes to code/development). You are expected to create and then work to project timelines.
Professional accountability, punctuality, and strong communication are as important as the quality of your code.
We’re open to you working virtually, but having you in Bend would be ideal. Bend is an outdoor enthusiast’s paradise and now you can work for a company that embodies the Central Oregon lifestyle. So come on, we can’t wait to see what you can accomplish with us!
- Manage the ongoing maintenance, development, and customization of our IT ecosystem: Website (Hosted on Shopify), AWS Environment (Server & DB infrastructure), recurring billing platform, as well as all other homegrown or 3rd party systems implemented by Cairn
- Write system requirements and document all system changes
- Work with all business areas (Marketing, Operations, Product, Account, etc.) to understand the needs of the business and identify ways to use technology to streamline, optimize, and automate those needs
- Create, manage, and analyze budgetary needs for our IT architecture/environment
- Ensure all major IT initiatives are properly tested and follow a disciplined release process
- Proactively research and provide recommendations on possible technology solutions to identified business problems
- Have a software/web development background (at least 3-5 years). A related CS/Engineering degree is a plus
- Can write code that is legible, efficient, modular, well tested and handles any edge case you throw at it
- Are comfortable getting your hands dirty with the full application and server stack.
- Have an ability to lead architectural decisions
- Communicate effectively with outside vendor partners to keep projects/systems on task and ensure they are executed properly
- Have experience managing/developing e-commerce systems
- Have experience developing, designing, and architecting large-scale web and mobile applications
- Can manage 3rd party API integrations, both building and consuming
- Have a strong grasp of Python
- Have experience with Shopify
- Have experience building beautiful, responsive HTML5 designs
- Have up-to-date, first-hand knowledge of the latest CSS trends, and how they perform differently in each browser.
- Possess creative and practical problem-solving skills along with a general aptitude for reaching goals and getting work done in an environment where limited standardization exists
- Have an ability to multi-task while maintaining accurate, detailed documentation
- Are passionate about the outdoors
- Have INTEGRITY - We believe all relationships are built upon trust. We do what we say we will and are proactive about fixing issues when they arise. We don’t hide from problems. We earn trust everyday by delivering what we say we will.
- Are PLAYFUL - We take what we do seriously, but we don’t take ourselves too seriously. Discovering new experiences and ideas should bring joy; and a bit of humor helps people feel more at ease when entering new territory.
- Are THOUGHTFUL - We value the relationships that we form and how we can grow together and learn from each other. We listen and act on what we learn. Everything we do is deliberate with the needs of our customers and partners in mind.
- Are DEDICATED - We don’t let challenges or problems get in our way. We are scrappy and will always find a way. We deliver.
- Are PIONEERING - We are trailblazers. We’re not comfortable with the status quo, and will push to be at the forefront of the outdoor industry. We work to be the ultimate insiders, so our community can be the ultimate outsiders.
- Are a TEAM - This isn’t business, it’s personal. We’ve got each other’s backs, and are committed to making sure that our partners and community feel the same. Gather ‘round the campfire, friend, we’re ALL out here together.