We are looking for a Buyer to join our Product team
WHY CAIRN IS AWESOME
Cairn is changing the way outdoor enthusiasts discover new products and ideas that inspire them to connect and explore. Since the company’s founding in early 2014, Cairn has grown from shipping product out of the CEO’s garage to a market leader and growing community of outdoor enthusiasts numbering in the thousands. Cairn has partnered with over 200 brands in the Outdoor industry, shipped over 2 million products, and was named to Outside Magazine’s Best Places to work for 2017. In 2018, Cairn added Gear Up, Give Back™ to its offerings - a program that facilitates recycling of outdoor gear and apparel (with all net proceeds being donated to charity). More recently, the company launched the Kitted, an industry-first, try-before-you-buy retail experience for outdoor products as well as Unstacked, a unique gear auction experience. Cairn is located in beautiful Bend, Oregon.
Does getting “dressed up” mean layering up and heading outside, no matter what the weather? Are you the one all your friends look to for advice on gear? Are you ready to take on the challenge of inspiring thousands of people to spend more time outside by curating best in class product assortments of the latest and greatest outdoor gear?
This is an excellent chance to join a young company that is pushing the creative retail envelope in the Outdoor Industry. This Buyer role is a gear junkies’ dream job. Bend is an outdoor enthusiast’s paradise and now you can work for a company that embodies the Central Oregon lifestyle. So come on, we can’t wait to see what you can accomplish with us!
- Build and plan the product assortment for Cairn e-com platforms, with the appropriate category/brand mix and seasonal selections across all outdoor categories.
- Manage PO placement, buying timelines, and vendor negotiation
Own margin, budget, and inventory goals
- Maintain long-term relationships with existing brand partners and constantly seek out and identify innovative brands with which to cultivate new relationships.
- Analyze product/category performance data to inform future assortment mix and constantly improve the experience for our Cairn community.
- Influence a successful and quickly growing startup. Your voice and ideas will be welcome. We’re serious — we can throw out some pretty crazy ideas in our brainstorming sessions.
- Collaborate with an awesome team! Roll up your sleeves and work side-by-side with the founders and the rest of this creative and synergetic team.
Have fun and geek-out over outdoorsy gear and more.
- Will be successful if you have…..
- 2-5 years of Buying/Merchandising experience in consumer goods, outdoor industry preferred
- A Bachelor’s degree in Merchandising, Product Management, Marketing, Business, or related field.
- A keen eye for great product, cohesive assortments, and visual merchandising in an e-commerce environment
- Love the outdoors and have a developed awareness of product and market trends in most product categories in the outdoor industry.
- Have a proven ability to lead assortment planning, manage vendor relationships, and place POs in alignment with buying cycles.
- Are skilled at data analysis, tracking and managing KPIs, meeting margin goals, and owning OTB budgets
- Have experience implementing inventory management strategies to achieve optimal pre-season allocation, in season stock levels, and sell-through
- Are a strong communicator and are skilled at fostering and building longterm relationships
- Are an adept negotiator (vendor terms, pricing, etc.) with an eye toward arriving at win-win solutions
- Show excellent project management skills, attention to detail, and the ability to juggle many simultaneous priorities in order to adhere to critical timelines
- Are adaptable and enthusiastic with whatever is needed. You may find yourself fulfilling orders in the warehouse if an extra set of hands is needed.
- Display accountability and scrappiness. What does this mean? You do what you say you will, you follow-through and you figure things out.
- Have INTEGRITY - We believe all relationships are built upon trust. We do what we say we will and are proactive about fixing issues when they arise. We don’t hide from problems. We earn trust everyday by delivering what we say we will.
- Are PLAYFUL - We take what we do seriously, but we don’t take ourselves too seriously. Discovering new experiences and ideas should bring joy; and a bit of humor helps people feel more at ease when entering new territory.
- Are THOUGHTFUL - We value the relationships that we form and how we can grow together and learn from each other. We listen and act on what we learn. Everything we do is deliberate with the needs of our customers and partners in mind.
- Are DEDICATED - We don’t let challenges or problems get in our way. We are scrappy and will always find a way. We deliver.
- Are PIONEERING - We are trailblazers. We’re not comfortable with the status quo, and will push to be at the forefront of the outdoor industry. We work to be the ultimate insiders, so our community can be the ultimate outsiders.
- Are a TEAM - This isn’t business, it’s personal. We’ve got each other’s backs, and are committed to making sure that our partners and community feel the same. Gather ‘round the campfire, friend, we’re ALL out here together.